Leica M-E (Typ 240) Digital Rangefinder Camera
- 24MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Leica Maestro Image Processor
- Optical 0.68x-Magnification Viewfinder
- 3.0" 920k-Dot LCD
Providing a respectable entryway to the Leica M System, the M-E (Typ 240) is a well-rounded digital camera offering the classic rangefinder shooting experience along with an intuitive and minimalist camera design. Featuring a full-frame 24MP CMOS sensor and Maestro image processor, the M-E realizes rich image quality with low noise levels and smooth color and tonal gradations. The sensor and processor combine to avail a sensitivity range from ISO 200-6400, Full HD 1080p movie recording, and 3 fps continuous shooting along with a 2GB internal buffer. Unique among digital cameras, the M-E maintains Leica's preference for a rangefinder design and incorporates a 0.68x optical viewfinder with split and superimposed manual focusing, and automatic parallax correction. Conversely, the camera also features a 3.0" 920k-dot LCD with Gorilla Glass covering to maintain the overall durability of the magnesium alloy and brass body. The rugged metal body also integrates rubber seals throughout its design to render it dust- and weather-resistant for use in trying conditions. Also distinguishing the M-E from the rest of the M System is a unique anthracite gray paint finish along with a genuine black leather wrap.
Leica M-E (Typ 240)
24MP CMOS Sensor and Maestro Image Processor
In addition to stills, Full HD 1080p and HD 720p video recording is supported, in both 24 and 25 fps frame rates. VGA 480p recording at 30 fps is supported, too. A monaural microphone is incorporated into the body's design, features manual audio level control during recording, and an optional external microphone port is available for greater audio recording capabilities.
Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 47.1mm (mechanical metering basis 69.25mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.68x).
- Rear 3.0" 920k-dot LCD provides a bright, clear means for image playback as well as live view shooting.
- Rear LCD monitor has a Corning Gorilla Glass cover to protect it against scratching and impacts.
- Built-in level gauge aids in achieving perfectly level horizons.
- Top and bottom plates are machined from solid blocks of brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy for a truly durable, hard-wearing physical construction.
- Reminiscent of classic Leica designs, the M-E features an anthracite gray paint finish, which is accentuated by a genuine black cowhide leather wrap.
- Rubber seals are used to prevent the entrance of light rain and dust to enable working in inclement conditions.
- Designed to accept all M-mount lenses, Leica R-mount lenses are also compatible through the use of an optional R to M adapter.
- Compatible with the optional EVF-2 accessory electronic viewfinder for manually focusing adapted lenses.
Lens Mount Leica M Camera Format Full-Frame (1x Crop Factor) Pixels 24 Megapixel Maximum Resolution 5952 x 3976 Aspect Ratio 3:2 Sensor Type CMOS Sensor Size 36 x 24 mm Image File Format DNG, JPEG Image Stabilization None ISO Sensitivity Auto, 200 to 6400 (Extended: 100 to 6400) Shutter Speed Mechanical Shutter
1/4000 to 60 Second
Metering Method Center-Weighted Average, Multi-Zone, Spot Exposure Modes Aperture Priority, Manual Exposure Compensation -3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps) White Balance Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Warm White), Kelvin, Manual, Shade, Tungsten Continuous Shooting Up to 3 fps at 24 MP Interval Recording None Self-Timer 2/12-Second Delay Recording Modes MOV/M-JPEG
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p
HD (1280 x 720) at 23.976p/25p
SD (640 x 480) at 23.976p/25p/29.97i
Video Encoding NTSC/PAL Audio Recording Built-In Microphone (Mono)
External Microphone Input (Stereo)
Focus Type Manual Focus Only Viewfinder Type Optical Viewfinder Magnification Approx. 0.68x Monitor Size 3" Monitor Resolution 920,000 Dot Monitor Type LCD Built-in Flash None Flash Modes First-Curtain Sync, Manual, Second-Curtain Sync, TTL Auto Maximum Sync Speed 1/180 Second Dedicated Flash System TTL External Flash Connection Hot Shoe Memory Card Slot 1 x SD/SDHC/SDXC Connectivity 3.5mm Microphone Wireless None GPS None Operating Temperature 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C Battery 1 x BP-SCL2 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.4 VDC, 1800 mAh Dimensions (W x H x D) 5.47 x 1.65 x 3.15" / 139 x 42 x 80 mm Weight 1.50 lb / 680 g
|Memory Card Type||1 x SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Battery||1 x BP-SCL2 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.4 VDC, 1800 mAh|
|Warranty||2 Year Service & Spareparts|