The TG-6 is designed to withstand a wide variety of conditions, ranging from harsh climates to everyday mishaps:
- Waterproof-rated to IPX8 for use underwater to depths of 50' / 15m
- Freezeproof to temperatures as low as 14°F / -10°C
- Shockproof to falls from 7' / 2.1m high
- Crushproof to withstand up to 220 lbf / 100 kgf of pressure
- Dustproof-rated to IP6X to protect the internal components of the camera
Also benefitting the camera's use outdoors, the lens has been sealed with double-pane glass to prevent fogging and condensation. The camera body design has been configured to permit direct operation while wearing gloves, included a large zoom lever, accessory lock button, and convenient dial control.
12MP BSI CMOS Sensor and TruePic VIII Processor
Utilizing a 12MP BSI CMOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processor, the TG-6 offers a mixture of speed and sensitivity to suit both photo and video applications. The BSI design of the sensor affords cleaner image quality at higher sensitivities, up to ISO 12800, for working in low-light conditions, and the processor further helps to reduce noise and expand the dynamic range. The sensor's cover glass design has also received an anti-reflective coating to help suppress flare and ghosting when working in bright conditions. Additionally, the processor avails a 20-fps continuous shooting rate in raw as well as the ability to record UHD 4K30p video and high-speed Full HD 1080p video at up to 120 fps.
4x Optical Zoom Lens
Spanning wide-angle to telephoto focal lengths, the built-in 4x optical zoom lens covers a 25-100mm equivalent range and has a bright f/2 maximum aperture to suit working in low-light conditions. Additionally, image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 2.5 stops to further aid in creating sharp imagery with slower shutter speeds.
Field Sensor System and Built-In Wi-Fi
Ideal for recording data while shooting in the outdoors, the Field Sensor System includes a GPS module, manometer, compass, and a temperature sensor. This data, along with the photos and movies themselves, can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi where the tracking data can be embedded or overlaid onto the images themselves using the Image Track app. Additionally, both photos and videos can be searched-for using recorded tracking data.
In addition to wireless transfer, the built-in Wi-Fi also allows you to remotely control the camera and wirelessly share images to a linked smartphone or tablet.
Other Camera Features
- Rear 3.0" 1.04m-dot LCD monitor offers a bright, clear means for shooting as well as image playback and menu navigation.
- Pro Capture Mode will automatically sequentially shoot from 0.5 to 10 seconds before the shutter is pressed to ensure you don't miss a shot.
- Five separate underwater modes are available to produce more accurate shots when working in or near the water, and include Underwater Wide, Underwater Macro, Underwater HDR, Underwater Snapshot, and Underwater Microscope. Additionally, three dedicated underwater white balance modes—Shallow, Mid-Range, and Deep—help to improve red and blue tones depending on the depth in which you are shooting.
- An apt close-up shooter, the TG-6 has four separate shooting modes within the Variable Macro System. Including Microscope, Microscope Control, Focus Stacking, and Focus Bracketing modes, you are able to photograph subjects as close as just one centimeter away.
- A 2x Digital Teleconverter function extends the effective zoom range to 8x, or a maximum equivalent focal length of 200mm, when working in Program, Aperture Priority, or Movie modes.
- Using a 25-point autofocus system, a variety of focusing features can be used depending on the type of subject you are photographing, including Face Detection AF, Focus Area Selection, and AF Tracking. Manual focus is also possible, with Manual Focus Assist and Focus Peaking functions to help.
- In-camera time-lapses can be recorded using an interval timer, with 1-second to 24-hour intervals for up to 299 consecutive images.
- Date Imprinting mode can add a timestamp to your still images.
- Picture Modes: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, e Portrait, and Art Filters.
- Scene Modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Portrait +Landscape, Hand-held Starlight, Nightscape, Portrait + Nightscape, Children, Sport, Candlelight, Sunset, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Panorama, Live Composite, and Backlight HDR.
- Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pinhole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color, Bleach Bypass, and Instant Film.
- Detail of Art Effects: Soft Focus Effect, Pinhole Effect, White Edge Effect, Frame Effect, Star Light Effect, Blur Effect, B&W Effect, Pict. Tone Effect, and Shade Effect.